Thursday, May 8, 2008

CAPE and Iron Man

I've been quite busy as of late (so much so that I have nearly three months worth of trade paperbacks sitting on my table waiting to be read -- and this after I was finally able to catch up on over 2 months worth of individual comics) and obviously haven't posted in a few weeks.
This isn't going to be a monolithic post though.
I drove up to Dallas to attend CAPE this past weekend (and also to catch the Sharks -v- Stars in the Stanley Cup play-offs ... unfortunately the Sharks lost a 4 overtime thriller that ended their season).  CAPE was quite a good show.  Plenty of great guests and lots of cool stuff to look at and buy.  This was my first time at CAPE so I wasn't sure exactly what to expect.  I was suprised to see the guys from Red 5 Comics there.  I didn't realize they were based out of Houston.
It seemed like the non-big name creators (by that, I mean those who haven't done any work for Marvel and DC) were not getting the level of fan attention and appreciation they should have.  There was certainly a lack of action at a number of the tables during the time I was there.  That was really too bad since there was a lot of great product available from those creators that fans could have discovered.  I'm hoping next year we'll be able to do a little more promotion for some of those creators through the MZS APA.
I was glad to see our Zombie Zone FCBD sampler was getting handed out to all of the attendees.  Hopefully we'll see a little activity on the web-site in the coming weeks.
After I finished my tour of CAPE, I headed off to catch a showing of the movie Iron Man.  I'm not going to give a review of it here (maybe I'll do that in a later post).  I'll just say it was a GREAT movie.  It is definitely the new torch-bearer for comic-based movies.  Everything is going to be measured against it.  I don't think that bodes well for The Spirit (based on what I saw from the trailer).  Anyway, it will be interesting to see what impact this movie might have on Time Warner's DC movie properites.

No comments: