Monday, November 10, 2008

Who says chix can't do comix?

I had the good fortune of picking up a couple of projects this week from two of my favorite female comic creators.
The first was Magic Trixie Sleeps Over from Jill Thompson. The back cover gives an age range for the story of 8-12. I am decidely out of that particular range (by a good couple of decades plus), but I very much enjoyed it nonetheless.
First I have to say that I love the watercolor artwork. Dare I say it was magical? Jill Thompson is a phenomenal artist who probably doesn't get near the attention and recognition she deserves. Second, it was a great story. Yes, it is definitely aimed at a younger crowd (it is your basic 'be careful what you wish for because you just might get it' type of story) but I found it entertaining and thoroughly enjoyed it. I recommend this VERY MUCH for people who have children in or around that age (and even those who don't let age 'boundaries' stop them from enjoying high quality work).
The second was Terra no. 1 (DC) with art from Amanda Conner. I really can't put my finger on it, but I really like Amanda's art. Pretty much any comic I see with her name on it is a must buy. I don't really care who or what the characters are, if she illustrates it, then I want to read it. Fortunately in this particular case, it is a title written by Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti, a team whose other collective works I've enjoyed in many other instances (I'm still hoping at some point 21 Down will be resurrected). Terra is just the latest incarnation of the DC earth-moving character. We don't get a whole lot here about just where this new Terra came from and who exactly she is, but we do get to see that she is clearly the definition of a hero. She works tirelessly without regard for accolades to do the right thing. And of course Amanda's art is fantastic.
I highly recommend both of these projects. If you've never sampled work from either of these outstanding creators, then now is definitely a good time to give them a look.

1 comment:

Amy Reads said...

Thanks for the heads-up on these! I will definitely check them out.
Sorry for being So Silent these days. I am Absolutely Swamped with work, and have No Time (Barely!) for comics.
Although I did finish the latest collection of The Initiative today. V. interesting!
Ciao,
Amy